Monday, June 14, 2010

Marathon Training


So, I set my sights on doing a marathon going on 5 years ago. I know that because I looked at my old emails to a cousin who's done some and an old friend and one time instructor who's done TONS of them...looking for advice about attempting my first one.


Well, that was '06 and ended in injury and disaster. So, enter '07...again injured! Hmmm...might be seeing a pattern here. Well, '08 came and I decided to try something new and do a 1/2 marathon, hoping I could hold myself back from training too hard again and injure myself yet again. On a related topic...IT band injuries suck, and they nag!


Anyway, I managed to do my 1/2 marathon in Oct. of '08 with only a little soreness in my 'prone to injury' leg. I also found out the very next day I was pregnant....so there goes my plan to continue training for an awesome marathon in Arizona in Jan '09!


Needless to say the doc said it was OK to run still, but probably not train for a marathon....couldn't let my heart rate get above a certain number, yada, yada, yada. So, '09 for a running year was basically a bust. However, I did gain a little running buddy along the way. As long as its good weather he comes with in the BOB! Love that stroller! My secret strategy and hope is that if I train with the running stroller, when I get to race day I'll be that much faster without something to push...we'll see how that pans out.


So, that brings this year...'10! This is the year! I've been re-learning how to run since I took some time off after having E....it takes a lot of energy to work, be a mom, nurse and keep up with regular life let alone run. But, I have that all down now, and I've been running since the winter pretty steadily and building up my mileage base again. I also turn 30 this year, so I figure, it's a good year to finally reach my goal.


5 years in the making and I cannot wait to finally get to my goal! I feel mentally that if I can finally successfully run this thing that I'll be able to accomplish anything I want..silly I know...but that's my attitude anyhow.


That being said, yesterday was my first 'official' training run on my 18 week schedule. It wasn't much different than any other run as of late...however this time I felt that it had a purpose, and will get me that much closer to my fall goal. Eek! I'm so excited.


Detroit, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment